Helpful Hints for Couples
Here at Arthur Murray we specialize in teaching couples to dance.
Here at Arthur Murray we specialize in teaching couples to dance. Teaching couples is different from teaching individuals and requires special care.
Teachers are trained to make learning fun and easy, and you can help by remembering the following:
- Let your teacher do the teaching. This means avoid finding fault with each other which can be distracting.
- It’s not how many steps you know; it’s how you execute them. (You always notice good dancers by how they move, not by how many patterns they do.) Learning too many steps too soon results in bad habits and frustration at not executing them properly.
- In teaching couples, we have learned that men typically progress slower because they have more to do and tend to be more analytical or mechanical. Women, on the other hand, feel movement quicker and therefore, THE LADY MUST TRY TO BE PATIENT AND NOT EXPECT TOO MUCH TOO SOON.
- It’s important to keep your lessons close together, and more importantly to use them in close conjunction with group lessons and practice lessons. Ideally, each visit should be scheduled to include more than one activity. This will aid you in making speedy progress and gaining confidence in your dancing in a shorter period of time.
- Communicate with your teacher so that he or she will know what to teach you and the way you like to be taught. The more we know about your dance needs the better we can plan your lessons now and prepare your future program.
- Arthur Murray Raleigh Reviewed by John Cook - student on Aug 13 . My advice to single me. Do it!! Women definitely like it when you actually know how to handle yourself. Women can tell and it doesn’t hurt. There tends to be a lot of very attractive women at these things. You get to meet a different set of women. Wherever you go to hang out, there will be a particular kind of women there and dancing there tends to be a whole new different set. So it is a nice change.John Cook
- "Ballroom dancing is actually a very athletic activity. It really helps give you confidence in your agility and it really helps to make life fun!"Jim Johnson
- "Dancing has made me feel wonderful. It has a chance to use your whole body and rhythm in unison with a partner."Nancy Johnson